I gave away the whole nappy bag caper quite some time ago. I hated that thing. It was undoubtably premature, my youngest isn’t yet two and is still in nappies. It has led to some very embarrassing and annoying events like my son doing a number two, five minutes into a play date and I didn’t have a spare nappy or packet of baby wipes. Or the time I picked up the kid’s spoon I hadn’t yet cleaned and placed it, complete with yoghurt blob, into my handbag and on top of my favourite designer purse.
So it was these school holidays that I decided I needed to get my act together. I assembled my outing must haves and placed them in a kid’s backpack.
Take a look what I put inside……
- Nappy wallet. This one has a built-in changemat and holds our nappies, wipes, scented bags, hand sanitiser and nappy cream
- Eating out Pack. I picked up this three sectioned pencil case on clearance at Target. It holds my children’s cutlery, plastic straws, disposable bibs and hand sanitiser. I often throw the stray sachets of sugar, sauce and salt in here too. You never know when they might come in handy. The cutlery set I love to use when out is Fuel Primary Snap Flatware. It niftily snaps together for easy and compact transport.
- Kiddapotomus Tiny Diner Placemat. I love this thing! I have always hated the idea of my kids eating at restaurant and food court tables. I don’t think they are particularly clean and kids always drop their food. This is the solution. It is a suction-capped placemat for kids. It is wide enough that their hands and food won’t touch the table. It has a nifty little channel to catch any spills which doubles as a holder for the mat when it is rolled up.
- Enjo Little Laundry Pack. Another love of mine! This little pack will remove any spill on your clothes while you are out. It comes in a nifty little pouch with a travel sized fabric fibre and miracle cloth. A true lifesaver and means I don’t have to carry a change of clothes around in this bag. For those too-big-to-ignore clothing problems, I keep a change of clothes in the car kit.
- Kids’ ID bracelets. I pop these on the kids whenever we go somewhere with big crowds. It has my mobile number on it just in case they become lost. You can pick these up from lots of places on the net.
- The Mommy Hook. A great little invention that helps keep all your bags together in one place. I often use mine to attach the kids’ backpack to the shopping cart or pram
- Baby wipes. What would we do without baby wipes?!
The only thing I don’t carry in here that I would ordinarily pack in a bag such as this is sunscreen and insect repellant. As we live in a super sunny part of the world, I have found it easier to keep large pump packs of sunscreen and insect repellant in the boot of our car and use it before or after we arrive at our destination.
So hopefully, now that I have all these items corralled into one handy backpack, I can avoid those unfortunate and embarrassing parenting events. Time will tell 😉